Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The Fall

Don has been driving tractors all of his life, so when it came time to mow the weeds in our field he rented one with 5' mower behind it and went to work. He is very good and got almost the whole field cleared in one evening. Looks like a real farmer doesn't he?


Well, I went for a walk the next morning and he started finishing the field, but then he moved on to mowing the weeds on the side of our steep, windy road. About 1/4 mile from our house, the brakes gave out and the tractor started speeding toward a 3oo' drop. So Don jumped off.

As he jumped he caught the steering wheel so the tractor turned into the side of the hill, but it also ran over his foot. He walked the 1/4 mile home bleeding the whole way, Tami picked me up from my walk and the ER put 27 staples into his foot, 7 into his head and bandaged the rest of his wounds. We feel VERY blessed it wasn't worse.

He's mending nicely, very bored and feels like he was hit by a truck. I gently remind him that at his age, he's not supposed to jump from a moving vehicle onto asphalt. What an adventure!

2 comments:

laura said...

Oh my gosh! How scary. It gives me chills to think about a 300 foot drop. I'm glad Uncle Don has some cat-like reflexes. I hope he feels better soon.

Roger said...

Those kind of "adventures" we can do without!
Terri, I am sure that he needs LOTS of tender loving care.
This could work out for Don.